Thursday, July 10, 2008





Underpainted the landscape I sketched out yesterday using nupastel and turpenoid using complimentary colors. This is Wallis sanded paper-the image is about 20 x 36 . Using a limited palate of pinks, blues, violets, worked in sky and distance mountains, Started with lightest value colors and progressed up the scale in more proximal mountain ranges adding greens, golds, reds to detail. Working top to bottom which is unusual for me but in this image works best as I can use the same basic value pastels in each level as I move down the work. Putting in the water helped me to keep perspective. Stopped at this point - Tomorrow the foreground with the deepest colors for the trees and shrubbery -I took this photo on a trip in the summer to NY state-we traveled along the hudson-this was the view from a house on the river-I think west point was in the mountain across the way-I'll have to ask ann- Come to think of it i may have done a sketch at the time I should find!

No comments: